For a long time when it comes to electric guitars, the Fender American Special Stratocaster is one of the models that really sets the bar. Considering the overall quality of the guitar, it’s very budget conscious. This allowed it to creep into our list of the best electric guitars under $1000 and rightly so! Let’s dive in and let us get up close and personal with the American Special Stratocaster.
Fender American Special Stratocaster – The Overview:
- Weight: 11.02 lbs
- Dimensions: 43 x 17 x 6.5 inches
- Colors Available: Olympic white option is pictured above, 2 tone sunburst is also a great looking choice. Sonic Blue and a limited edition Walnut finish also available.
- Build: Alder Body, Modern C shape satin maple neck, rosewood or maple fingerboard available, 22 jumbo frets.
- Hardware: Tremolo bridge, Fender’s F tuners.
Look and Feel
Right out of the box, this thing looks and feels awesome. If you’ve bought from a trusted retailer online there’s a good chance it will arrive strung, you’ll just need to do a bit of tuning. If it’s not strung when it arrives this is to prevent damage during transit.
Sound and Playability
If you’re budget conscious, you’ll know that this comes in cheaper than professional stratocaster, but you’ll be pleased to know you still get a great professional quality sound. The tone control on the bridge pickup gives this a super versatile sound.
Range wise there’s definitely enough to keep you ticking. If you want a true reflection of the sound we’d recommend clicking play on the video above to hear just how great it is (especially in the hands of skilled players).
Having a guitar that looks and feels great in your hands is always a help when it comes to boosting its playability. The satin finish on the back are a big help in adding a nice smooth feel for your fingers. The jumbo frets also help your fingers find their way to the frets nicely. The grease bucket tone circuit along with the volume selector also help add versatility to your playing.
Thanks to the Texas Special pickups you get a sound that is suited to a range of genres, blues, rock and country all sound awesome with this guitar.
Fender American Special Stratocaster: Our Verdict
If you’re looking for a high-end guitar that creeps under the thousand dollar mark, we’d struggle to recommend a more suitable guitar than this. Some guitarists will choose to upgrade the out the box pickups, in search of a less noisy sound. That said, for those of you searching for their first top quality guitar for the price tag you really can’t fault it.
What We Like:
- An affordable American made Stratocaster.
- Versatile, great for learners looking to make an upgrade to their current set up or more advanced players looking for an all-purpose guitar.
- Some guitars feel locked down to a specific genre, this sounds awesome across a variety.
Overall, this is a very good quality guitar from Fender, you get a classic look and sound associated with guitars of a higher price range.